Multiple Choice Questions - Light and Sound
1. When sound wave is refracted from air to water, then which of the following will remain unchanged?
2. A sonometer wire having a length of 50 cm is vibrating in the fundamental mode with a frequency 100 Hz. Which of the following is the type of propagating wave and its speed?
3. In a Laser (say neon laser) all the atoms emit the light waves of
4. Consider the following statements :
Which of the statements given above is/are correct?
5. Consider the following statements :
6. Which of the following types of light are strongly absorbed by plants?
7. Which components of light are absorbed by chlorophyll?
8. Which colour is the complementary colour of yellow?
9. Which of the following is a wrong statement?
10. In the visible spectrum the colour having the shortest wavelength is :
11. Which of the following is a wrong statement?
12. The separation of white light into its component colours is called :
13. Why do some automobiles have additional yellow headlights?
14. ‘Newton’s disc’ when rotated at a great speed appears :
15. Which one among the following is not produced by sound waves in air?
16. Ultrasonic waves are those sound waves having frequency
17. When a ray of light is going from one medium to another, its
18. A jet plane flies through air with a velocity of 2 Mach. While the velocity of sound is 332 m/s the air speed of the plane is
19. Light travels in optical fibre irrespective of its shape because it is a device by which signals can be transferred from one location to another. It is based on the phenomenon of
20. Bats can ascertain distances, directions, nature and size of the obstacles at night. This is possible by reflection of the emitted
21. Light travels slower in glass than in air because
22. Sound moves with higher velocity if:
23. The visible light has a wavelength range from about 380 nm (violet) to 780 nm (red). If an excited object emits light with wavelength of 15 nm, to which one of the following ranges does it belong?
24. The audible frequency range of a human ear is
25. In vacuum, the speed of light
26. Consider the following parts of spectra:
Which one of the following is the correct sequence in which their wavelengths increase?
27. Propagation of light quanta may be described by