1. Carbon dioxide is called a greenhouse gas because
Its concentration remains always higher than other gases
It is used in photosynthesis
It absorbs infrared radiation
It emits visible radiation
2. What is the major role of a greenhouse gas that contributes to temperature rise of the earth’s surface?
Transparent to both incoming sunlight and outgoing infrared radiation
Stops both incoming sunlight and outgoing infrared radiation
Lets outgoing infrared radiation pass through but stops incoming sunlight
Lets incoming sunlight pass through but stops outgoing infrared radiation
3. Consider the following statements:
Ozone is mostly found in the stratosphere.
Ozone layer lies 55-75 km above the surface of the Earth.
Ozone absorbs ultraviolet radiation from the Sun.
Ozone layer has no significance for life on the Earth.
Which of the statements given above are correct?
1 and 2
1 and 3
2 and 3
3 and 4
4. Which among the following nontoxic gases helps in formation of enzymes which ripen fruit?
5. Which one among the following is strong smelling agent added to LPG cylinder to help in the detection of gas leakage?
Answer (b). IUPAC (International Union of Pure and Applied Chemistry) name for the chemical is Ethanethiol. Alternate name for the substance is Ethyl Mercaptan. Refer Chemicals Page on this site
6. Which of the following statements regarding ozone layer within the atmosphere is/are correct?
It absorbs most of the ultraviolet radiation found in the Sun's rays.
Chloroflourocarbons are serious threat to the ozone layer.
Select the correct answer using the code given below:
Both 1 and 2
Neither 1 nor 2
7. The major component in LPG is
8. The vertical movement of air is termed as
9. Which of the following is not a method of preparing oxygen?
Electrolysis of water
Fractional distillation of liquid air
Decomposition of potassium permanganate
Decomposition of manganese dioxide
10. Oxygen and ozone are
11. Ozone layer is present in
12. Which is the lowest layer of the atmosphere ?
13. Which one of the following is a major constituent of Biogas?
14. Sea breeze is formed during
Answer (a). During daytime land heats up more quickly than water and the air above it rises allowing for air above the sea to blow towards the land. This is known as sea breeze. After sunset land cools down more quickly than water and hence land breeze blows during the night.
15. The Refrigerant 'FREON' is
Calcium Tetra Flouride
Diflouro Dichloro Methane
Flourspar and Felspar
16. Now a days, Yellow lamps are frequently used as street lights. Which among the following gases, is used in these lamps?
17. The atmospheric air is held to the earth by
Rotation of the earth
18. The Noble Gas used for the treatment of cancer is ___?
19. The optimum dissolved oxygen level (in mg/litre) required for survival of aquatic organisms is
4 - 6
2 - 4
8 - 10
12 - 16
20. Troposphere is the hottest part of the atmosphere because
it is closest to the Sun
there are charged particles in it
it is heated by the Earth’s surface
heat is generated in it
Answer (c). Troposphere gets heated by the Earth's surface because it is the lowest portion of Earth's atmosphere.
21. The gas which turns limewater milky is
22. Which of the following is the lightest gas?
23. Hydrogen is not found in atmosphere because
It is highly inflammable
It is the lightest gas
It is absorbed by plants
It immediately combines with oxygen to form water
24. The gas used for filling weather balloons is
25. What is the chemical name of Laughing Gas?
26. The coloured discharge tubes for advertisement mainly contain
27. Which one of the following noble gases is not found in the atmosphere (negligible quantity)?
28. For respiration in deep sea, divers use mixture of
Oxygen and helium
Oxygen and hydrogen
Oxygen and carbon dioxide
Oxygen and nitrogen
29. Gases used to prepare Ammonia gas are
Nitrogen and Oxygen
Nitrogen and Oxide
Nitrogen and Hydrogen
Nitrogen and Carbon
30. Which one of the following gases is opaque to outgoing terrestial radiation but transparent to incoming solar radiation?
31. In oxygen, things :
do not burn at all
burn rapidly and are immediately reduced to ashes
32. Liquefied Petroleum Gas (LPG) consists of mainly :
methane, ethane and hexane
ethane, butane and propane
ethane, hexane and nonane
nonane, ethane and hexane
33. The gas produced by pouring water on calcium carbide is :
34. Which of the following gases is considered a better substitute to air in car tyres?
35. Which of the following noble gases is most abundant in Earth's atmosphere?